Monday, April 5, 2010

A reflection- by Sandra

Actively giving gifts. I feel like I had a wonderful experience of giving a gift to myself today!

It began to rain about 40 minutes after I had taken my third walk today.

Earlier, it was beautiful outside, and I took the CUTEST baby that I get to nanny for on Mondays and Wednesdays with me. She is absolutely adorable, and as my old neighbor will say, it was in good karma that I met her mom after I was having financial difficulties. She needed a nanny, and I needed money, and soon enough we all got along super well.

Anyway, my class (the one that makes me super anxious) was cancelled in lieu of turning in papers online, so I had a bit of a break. Knowing that my obsessive and isolated tendencies would lead me to my computer and Season 2 of Desperate Housewives, I ventured out again.

It began to rain just as I got to "Cancer Point," as Jonathan and I call it. I was lonely and scared my sophomore year, when after a routine exam (thanks to finally getting health insurance...at age 20), my doctor told me I needed a colposcopy (a cervical biopsy), to determine if it was cancer or not.

It was an incredibly invasive procedure, that I hesitated to discuss with the guy I seeing at the time because it was so shameful. My reaction was cold, and almost borderline for expecting him to pry and ask questions while I was verbally saying I "didn't want to talk about it." Time to grow up now: men aren't mind readers.

Apparently a gay best friend has the antidote for unnecessary shame. I don't know what I would've done if Jonathan hadn't been there.

2-3 years later, we wanted to share our usual pint of Ben and Jerry's (awful, isn't it?! This is why I need to make us lemon bars for our next "fix").

The usual cafeteria we would use was super hot, and it was the first day of Super-warmth here in Chicago. "Should we go to...," he started...and I finished with "Ummm...Cancer Point?"

We both laughed, supporting his hypothesis he stated before. We did "laugh about it years later," and hopefully I'm a bit more mature and wiser since.

No comments:

Post a Comment